Nipro’s Biohole AVF catheter needles are intended for the buttonhole technique, allowing greater patient mobility during treatment.
Extend the life of the vascular access and reduce pain compared to rope-ladder technique2, 3, 4, 5, 6 thanks to a blunt, siliconized needle.
Biohole AVF catheter needles offer maximum operational efficiency for healthcare professionals and improved quality of life for patients.
- Siliconized dull needle reduces pain compared to the rope-ladder technique 1-5
Minimizes potential needling error and hematoma formation 4, 6, 7
Less AVF complications: reduces aneurysm formation and only two puncture sites required 4
Decreases bleeding time 8-10
Safe cannulation during fistula maturation 11
Decreased risk of fistula perforation 11
Soft and flexible tubing eases the clamping during the bloodline connection/disconnection
- Preferred option for patients allergic to metal
- Ultra-thin catheter wall for optimal blood flow
- Color-coded hub
- Gamma sterilization
- Toma S. A timesaving method to create a fixed puncture route for the buttonhole technique; Nephrology dialysis and transplantation. 2003
- Sukthinthai N. Buttonhole technique better than area puncture technique on hemostasis and pain associated with needle cannulation; J. Med. Assoc. Thai. 2012
- Kim MK. Clinical effects of buttonhole cannulation method on hemodialysis patients, Hemodial. Int. 2013
- Twardowski Z. Different sites versus constant sites of needle insertion into arteriovenous fistula for treatment by repeated dialysis. Dial Transplant. 1979
- de Castro MC. Arteriovenous fistula cannulation by buttonhole technique using dull needle; J. Bras. Nefrol. 2010
- Verhallen AM. Cannulating in hemodialysis: rope-ladder or buttonhole technique?; nephrology dialysis transplantation. 2007
- van Loon MM. Buttonhole needling of haemodialysis arteriovenous fistulae result in less complications and interventions compared to the rope-ladder technique; Nephro Dial Transplant. 2010
- Infectious complications in dialysis – epidemiology and outcomes. Nature Reviews Nephrology, 8, Feb 2012
- Parisotto MT, et al. Cannulation technique influences arteriovenous fistula and graft survival. Kidney Int. 2014
- Council Directive 2010/32/EU – Prevention from sharp injuries in the hospital and healthcare sector.
- Needles and cannulas for arteriovenous fistula access: More options promote better Outcomes. National Kidney Foundation.2016